Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Woman of the Week - Aimee Copeland

Less than two months ago, Aimee Copeland fell from a homemade zip line and contracted a flesh-eating disease from a cut on her calf. The disease claimed her left leg, her right foot, and both of her hands. Copeland also had to have quite a bit of skin removed from her abdomen and hip. Aimee Copeland is only 24 years old. I chose her as woman of the week because I am so impressed that she is keeping a positive attitude even though she lost so much of her body. When her father asked her yesterday how she was feeling about her experience in the hospital, she said:

"I am blessed to have the opportunity to experience something that not many other people have the chance to experience. I am blessed to be able to have a challenge that not many others get to have. I am blessed to have the capacity to share my experience with others and have a chance to improve the quality of someone else’s life. I’m blessed to be different.”

What an amazing outlook! It would be so easy to be angry and frustrated, but she has chosen to keep a positive attitude. When Copeland has her wound dressings changed, she chooses to deal with the pain using meditation instead of medicine. Before her accident, she was working on getting her master's degree in psychology with a focus on holistic pain management. She was also studying nature therapy, so it was a real treat that she was able to spend an hour outdoors yesterday. It was the first time she left her hospital bed in 49 days.

I think it's so wonderful that Aimee is keeping a positive attitude in spite of her condition. She has improved a lot over the past week, and hopefully she will be able to leave the hospital soon. Copeland will have to learn to live with prosthetics, but I have a feeling that she will be able to handle it very well. I am looking forward to hearing about her progress. Something tells me that Aimee Copeland will do great things with her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment