Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Woman of the Week - Anne Lamott

I decided to feature Ann Coulter as woman of the week. Just kidding! Of course I didn't pick Ann Coulter. She's a terrible, terrible person. I chose another Anne who is exponentially better: Anne Lamott. She is an activist and a beautiful writer, and I love her motivation for writing. She said,

"I try to write the books I would love to come upon, that are honest, concerned with real lives, human hearts, spiritual transformation, families, secrets, wonder, craziness-and that can make me laugh. When I am reading a book like this, I feel rich and profoundly relieved to be in the presence of someone who will share the truth with me, and throw the lights on a little, and I try to write these kinds of books. Books, for me, are medicine."

Her writings cover Christianity, single motherhood, depression, and alcoholism. I first heard about Anne Lamott from my lovely cousin, Linda. We had just finished watching the third presidential debate when Linda told me about a post on Facebook by Anne Lamott. I am always happy to find out about strong women, and I am pleased to add her to my list of outstanding people. In her post, Lamott commented on Ann Coulter's awful tweet about President Obama. I won't repeat Coulter's words because they were awful, but I am pleased with Lamott's classy reaction. I am looking forward to reading Ann Lamott's books. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment