Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Woman of the Week - Lynne Cook

This year has flown by, and I can't believe this is my last woman of the week post! I chose my mother, Lynne Cook, as my final woman of the week. She is an amazing person who has worked as a teacher, nurse, and daycare provider. She has spent her whole life taking care of people, and she is the most loving person I have ever met. I know I'm biased because she's my mom, but everyone who has met her says she's the nicest person they know.

I'm getting to the point in my life where I'm starting to think about having kids. I'm aware of the sacrifices involved with having babies. The gender gap dramatically increases after women have children. An article on the Feminist Majority Foundation website shows that the wage gap between men and women increases to 22% percent after a woman has her first child. Mothers sacrifice so much for their children, and I am eternally grateful to my mom for raising me. She had three children, and she quit her job so she could stay home with us. When I was in college, she went back to school to get her Master's degree in teaching. She taught for several years, and she did a wonderful job working with those kids.

I want to dedicate this last woman of the week post to all mothers. It's the most difficult job in the world because it's 24/7, but I've heard that it's worth it. The thought of having my own children scares me, but then I think about women like my mother who loved raising their kids, despite all of the sacrifices they made. I'm just so grateful that I have such a wonderful mom. She is my best friend, and I am truly blessed to have her as my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment