Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Woman of the Week - Susan Sarandon

Susan Sarandon has been working in movies and television for over forty years. Her break-up with Tim Robbins was splashed all over the tabloids in 2009 after their 23-year relationship ended. Sarandon will turn 66 in October, and she has recently been spotted with her 33-year-old boyfriend. Normally, I don't pay attention to celebrity gossip, but this is one story that grabbed my attention. I love that Sarandon is dating a man half her age. I always hear about men who date women half their age, but it's not as common to hear about women dating younger men.

I won't go on about Sarandon's love life because she has accomplished so much during her remarkable career. She won an Academy Award for Best Actress in 1995 for her role in Dead Man Walking. Sarandon was also nominated for four other Academy Awards for Best Actress, including her role in Thelma & Louise. I remember watching Thelma & Louise in my college dormitory with some friends. I shouted with delight when the two women blew up that truck driver's 18-wheeler.

Susan Sarandon is known for her activism and support of nonprofit organizations. She has made several donations to Emily's List, which is an organization that helps pro-choice Democratic female candidates. In 2003, Sarandon appeared in the "Love is Love is Love" commercial, which promoted the acceptance of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals. She also served on the advisory committee for the 2004 Racism Watch. I remember seeing her at the 2004 March for Women's Lives in DC. She was one of the guest speakers there, and I remember being surprised to see her. I had no idea at the time that she was so supportive of feminist organizations. Susan Sarandon is an amazing woman, and I love that she is making the most of her life. I am looking forward to seeing what she does next!

No comments:

Post a Comment