Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Woman of the Week - Ursula Le Guin

Ursula Le Guin is a science fiction and fantasy writer who uses sociology and psychology in all of her books.  Her writings focus mostly on gender and race. She writes novels, children’s books, and short stories. She is influenced by feminist writers as well as writers from the Eastern Traditions. She has won several science fiction awards, and she was one of three finalists up for a Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1997 for her collection of short stories called Unlocking the Air and Other Stories.

I love that Le Guin is so creative, and she's not afraid to write exactly what she thinks. She doesn't worry about fitting into a certain genre. She has feminist themes in her writing, and I love the way she describes feminism. She once said, "My feminism is, I suppose, a persuasion that the differences between the genders are not a sound basis for society to use in prescribing or proscribing any activity or proclivity."

What a wonderful way to describe feminism! I am looking forward to reading more of Le Guin's work. There are feminist themes in The Left Hand of Darkness, which is next on my reading list. Ursula Le Guin has published 21 novels, and I can't wait to work my way through the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment