Sunday, September 30, 2012

September Donation - Bitch Media

I decided to make my September donation to Bitch Media. They are known for their publication, Bitch Magazine. Their mission is to provide and encourage thoughtful feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.

Bitch Media has received much criticism for the name of their organization. Oh no, the "B-word!" Rebecca West, one of Bitch Magazine's writers, explains, "People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Their website goes on to explain, "We'd argue that the word 'bitch' is usually deployed for the same purpose. When it's being used as an insult, 'bitch' is an epithet hurled at women who speak their minds, who have opinions and don't shy away from expressing them, and who don't sit by and smile uncomfortably if they're bothered or offended. If being an outspoken woman means being a bitch, we'll take that compliment."

Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment