Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Woman of the Week - Julia Louis-Dreyfus

I chose Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the Woman of the Week because my husband was watching a rerun of Seinfeld when I got home from work today. When I saw Elaine Benes doing that funny dance, I was reminded of how hilarious Julia Louis-Dreyfus is. She is one of the funniest women on television. I loved her work on Seinfeld from 1990-1998 (we're always watching the reruns). She has a new show on HBO called "VEEP" where she plays the role of the U.S. Vice President.

Louis-Dreyfus said that she holds much respect for "women who are not afraid of making themselves look bad or foolish to get a laugh." Her idols include Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler Moore, Teri Garr and Cloris Leachman. I love funny women. I've always had a soft spot for female comedians. I have a very dry sense of humor, but I was very shy in school, and I rarely opened my mouth to share my quips. Now, I have come out of my shell, and I'm not afraid to look foolish in order to get a laugh.

Anyway, back to Julia Louis-Dreyfus. She has had an incredible career as an actress, but she is also very political. She supported Al Gore's 2000 U.S. presidential bid, and also endorsed Barack Obama's bid for the presidency in 2008. She appeared in a video that asked President Obama to reject the proposal of a Keystone XL pipeline, arguing that the pipeline could leak and it would cause horrifying pollution across America. She has also voiced her concern for several environmental issues. It's so nice when people take time out of their busy schedules to support something they're passionate about. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a fantastic role model, and I'm looking forward to watching her star in "VEEP."

No comments:

Post a Comment