Sunday, January 29, 2012

Femininity and Power

I am currently reading "The Second Shift" by Arlie Russell Hochschild. It's about women balancing career and family. The author interviewed several women who have very different beliefs about gender roles in the home. One woman who was interviewed was extremely traditional, and she believed that women should not work outside the home at all. In one of her interviews, she said, "I don't want to be equal with my husband. I don't want to be equal in work. I want to be feminine. I want to have frilly things. I don't want to compete with men! Heck! I don't want to do what my husband is doing. Let him do it. Maybe that's it - I want to be taken care of."

It's ridiculous that some people think women can't be feminine and powerful at the same time. I enjoy being feminine and wearing "frilly things", but that doesn't mean that I'm weak or less powerful than men. Women shouldn't be afraid to be authoritative and tough because people might think it's "unfeminine." I want to wear pink AND be powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment