Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I finally saw the English version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." I saw the original Swedish version a couple years ago, and I did like the original version better. But I liked Lisbeth Salander better in the new version. 

I love watching women kick ass in movies. I don't condone violence, but there's something wonderful about watching a woman decimate someone who has hurt her in an unthinkable way. Lisbeth is such a spectacular character. It almost makes me want to learn how to ride a motorcycle and start chain smoking. Almost.

Rooney Mara, the actress who played Lisbeth, commented to hollywoodreporter.com that a lot of feminists consider Lisbeth Salander a hero. She said, "I can understand why people might uphold her as a feminist icon, you know, because she's uncompromising, and has her own beliefs about things, and doesn't really cater to other people. I think the other thing is that she doesn't ever see herself as a victim; she doesn't ever play that card, you know, even though, in a lot of situations, she is, in fact, a victim."

Mara went on to say that she doesn't think of Lisbeth as a feminist because she doesn't really do anything in the name of any groups. Perhaps not, but I think a feminist is anyone who stands up for women (you don't have to join a "group" to be a feminist). Either way, Lisbeth Salander is a fantastic character. Maybe I will learn to ride a motorcycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment