Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Woman of the Week - Soledad O'Brien

One of my New Year's resolutions was to stop watching reality television and start watching CNN. The lack of reality television in my life has been a positive change. I feel smarter already! The addition of CNN to my morning routine has kept me in the loop. I have really enjoyed watching "Starting Point" with Soledad O'Brien whilst eating my cereal every morning before going to work. Soledad joined the CNN team in 2003, and she has produced several critically-acclaimed documentaries including "Black in America: The New Promised Land", "Beyond Bravery: The Women of 9/11" and "Don’t Fail Me: Education in America."

Soledad graduated from Harvard University with a degree in English and American Literature. She lives with her husband and four children in Manhattan. Soledad and her husband created the Soledad O'Brien and Brad Raymond Foundation to help young women overcome educational obstacles. They started the foundation shortly after hearing about a Hurricane Katrina survivor who needed help funding her education.

I chose Soledad O'Brien as the Woman of the Week because she is extremely passionate about her career. She has four young children, but she still has time for her demanding career. Peggy Orenstein, an author and journalist, was interviewed in the book "Midlife Crisis at 30" by Lia Macko and Kerry Rubin. Orenstein said, "It irritates me to no end that the discussion about women's lives keeps pitting career against family, women's independence against traditional roles - as if the two are mutually exclusive, as if they are the only components of our lives." I'm grateful that there are women in the spotlight who prove that balancing a busy career and a family with small children is possible. It's also nice to watch a strong woman reporting the news in the morning. It's much better than watching Real Housewives reruns!

No comments:

Post a Comment